Do I make the black bananas into bread? This is always a tough question for me. I feel bad throwing them out, but I really don't care for baking. All those dirty bowls, measuring cups and spoons...not to mention the mixer!
The boys won't eat the bananas once they're that ripe. I like them on the green side, so I won't eat them. But warm, buttery banana bread that is right up my alley.
In the end, I decided it was worth the work. All of your wonderful food posts inspired me...not to mention everyone at work talking baked goods the other day. So it was that I started baking banana nut bread at 9pm on a Monday evening.
Warm and perfect :) My recipe is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook that my Mom got for a wedding gift years ago.
Banana Nut Bread
1 c. chopped walnuts
2.5 c. flour
1 c. sugar
3.5 tspn. baking powder
1 tspn. salt
.75 c. milk
1 c. mashed bananas (~2-3 bananas depending on size)
3 tbsp. oil
1 eggs
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 8.5x4.5 loaf pans. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend with mixer for about 30-60 seconds, scraping sides and bottom of the bowl. Split batter into 2 loaf pans. Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test. Remove and cool.
I hope you enjoy it :) It is not a wet, heavy sort of banana bread.



